Computational Linguistics & Phonetics Computational Linguistics & Phonetics Fachrichtung 4.7 Universität des Saarlandes

Application – Frequently asked questions

a) Application documents

What is a certified copy?

Photocopies of official documents need to be stamped by an authorized institution confirming that the photocopy is identical to the original document. This can be done by a university (for university degrees and certificates), by a public notary or by a German Embassy.

What is the required TOEFL or IELTS score?

See the application checklist.

Which IELTS do I have to take?

Please take the Academic IELTS.

How do I submit my TOEFL or IELTS score?

Please ask the institution issuing the test to send the results directly to us. Our ETS institutional code is 8497 for Saarland University-Dept. Computational Linguistics and Phonetics. Please ask for documents to be sent to this address.

The language of instruction in my education was English. Do I need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score?

Yes. Only native speakers (whose native language is English) are exempt.

Who should I ask for a recommendation letter?

A recommendation letter is generally issued by a university professor who knows you from your undergraduate studies and who is able to evaluate your academic potential. Recommendation letters written by employers are also accepted, but academic references are generally more helpful. The letters should allow the Admissions Committee to evaluate your potential for academic development.

What is a Statement of Interest?

The Statement of Interest is a statement written by an applicant explaining his or her motivation for wanting to study a certain field and degree programme. The maximum length is two pages.

I don't have a Bachelor's degree yet. Can I still apply?

Yes. Just send us a preliminary transcript of records showing all the courses you have taken so far and all the marks you have obtained. You should submit your Bachelor's degree diploma when you enrol in the Master's degree program at the latest.

Why do I need to send my documents by regular mail (not email)?

Original versions or certified copies of all official documents (university certificates and degrees, language scores) are necessary for us to be able to verify the authenticity of the documents.

Do I need to send proof of how I intend to finance my studies?

No. You will, however, need to submit this proof to the German Embassy or Immigration Office (Ausländeramt) when applying for or renewing your visa.

Do I need to send my secondary school certificates?


b) Admissions procedure

Do you have a rolling admission?

No. The Admissions Committee only meets every year. The meeting usually takes place in the middle of March.

When will I be informed about the result of my application?

You will be notified by e-mail immediately after the Admissions Committee has met, at the beginning of April at the latest.

When will I receive a letter of admission?

They are usually sent out 2 weeks after you receive notification about your admission by e-mail. The admission letters are sent by regular mail (international airmail). Depending on the country they are being sent to, delivery may take up to 3-4 weeks.

c) Tuition fees and financial aid

How much does it cost to attend the programme?

The University of Saarland currently charges an infrastructure fee of €152 each semester. This includes the cost of a semester bus ticket.

What is the cost of living in Saarbrücken?

The cost of living in Saarbrücken is approximately €700 each month. This includes rent, food, clothing, books, health insurance and transportation.

Do you offer a scholarship?

No. If you need a full scholarship, we recommend that you apply for a DAAD scholarship:

Am I allowed to work in Germany?

As a student you are allowed to work 85 hours each month on campus or 90 days full-time or 180 days (part-time) per year off campus.