Language Technology II
We meet twice a week, both on tuesday and thursday. The session starts at 8:30AM and takes place in the seminar room on the ground floor of building C 7 2.
Students become familiar with fundamental concepts and common technologies in two main areas of NLP: machine translation and natural language interaction.
Please note: the course »Language Technology I« is NOT required for this course.
Block 1: Machine Translation
Automatic translation of natural language:
- Rule-based machine translation (RBMT)
- Statistical machine translation (SMT)
- Hybrid methods/system combination methods
Block 2: Natural Language Human-Computer Interaction
Natural language human-computer interaction:
- Dialogue phenomena
- Approaches to computational dialogue modeling and dialogue management
- Comparison of dialogue systems for various applications
- User modeling, usability testing and evaluation
- Learning dialogue strategies
You earn 6 credit points for this lecture. See the information page.
For each block of lectures and exercises there will be homework assignments of various types. See the schedule page for more information.
Sample code from the SMT part of the course can be found on GitHub.
The oral exam took place on July 23, 2013.