FRANK VAN EYNDE
Centre for Computational Linguistics, University of Leuven
There will be 5 sessions. They will be devoted to the following
- Translation and Compositionality
- Computational Semantics and Machine Translation this also includes
the integration of linguistic and extra-linguistic knowledge
- Competence-based vs. performance-based models for MT the former
are typically rule- or constraint-based; the latter are typically
corpus- or example-based
- Formalisms for Machine Translation
- Machine Translation of spoken language
For each of these topics I foresee three talks of 30 minutes;
at most one talk per session will be done by an invited speaker:
Monday, August 24:
- Jan Landsbergen(IPO, Eindhoven, The Netherlands): "Compositional
- Pius ten Hacken (University of Basel, Switzerland): "Science and
Technology in Machine Translation"
Tuesday, August 25:
- Michael Carl (IAI, Saarbruecken, Germany): "Meaning preservation
in Machine Translation"
- Harold Somers (UMIST, Manchester, United Kingdom): " "New Paradigms"
in MT: the State of the Play now that the Dust has Settled"
Wednesday, August 26:
- Ismael García-Varea & Francisco Casacuberta (University of Valencia,
Spain): "Statistical Translation in Limited Domain Tasks"
- Michael Carl, Leonid L. Iomdin & Oliver Streiter (IAI, Saarbruecken,
Germany and IPPI, Moscow, Russia): "Towards a Dynamic Linkage
of Example-based and Rule-based Machine Translation"
Thursday, August 27:
- Remi Zajac (New Mexico State University, USA): "MT Express"
- Krzysztof Jassem, Maciej Lison, Filip Gralinski & Boguslaw Rutkowski
(University of Poznan, Poland): "A Polish-to-English Electronic
Dictionary Designed for the Purpose of MT"
Friday, August 28:
- Demonstrations of the systems presented by
- M. Carl, L. L. Iomdin and O. Streiter
- K. Jassem, M. Lison, F. Gralinski and B. Rutkowski
Some recent relevant literature
- W.J. Hutchins and H.L. Somers. An introduction to Machine Translation.
Academic Press, London, 1992.
- F. Van Eynde (ed). Linguistic Issues in Machine Translation. Pinter,
- M.T. Rosetta. Compositional Translation. Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1994.
- The journal Machine Translation (Kluwer, Dordrecht)
- The proceedings of the International Conference on Theoretical
and Methodological Issues in Machine Translation
- The series Studies in Machine Translation and Natural Language
Processing (CEC, Luxembourg)