Professor of Psycholinguistics
Principal Investigator: Excellence Cluster “Multimodal Computing and Interaction”
Department of Computational Linguistics and Phonetics, Saarland University
- Associate Editor for Frontiers in Language Sciences
- Associate Editor for Dialogue & Discourse
- Associate Editor for Cognition (2009 – 2013)
- Guest Editor for Brain & Language special issue “Embodied Language Processing: Neuroimaging, Behavioural, and Neurocomputational Perspectives” ,112(3), 2010.
- Chair of the Rumelhart Prize Selection Committee (2011-2016)
Selected recent publications:
- Harm Brouwer, Matthew Crocker, Noortje Venhuizen, and John Hoeks. A Neurocomputational Model of the N400 and the P600 in Language Processing. Cognitive Science, (to appear).
- Jesus Calvillo, Harm Brouwer and Matthew Crocker (2016). Connectionist Semantic Systematicity in Language Production. In Trueswell et al (Eds.), Proceedings of the 38th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society. Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society. [pdf]
- Konstantina Garoufi, Maria Staudte, Alexander Koller and Matthew Crocker. Exploiting listener gaze to improve situated communication in dynamic virtual environments. Cognitive Science, 40:1671-1703, 2016.
- Harm Brouwer and Matthew Crocker (2016). On the Organization of the Perisylvian Cortex: Insights from the Electrophysiology of Language. Comment on "Towards a Computational Comparative Neuroprimatology: Framing the language-ready brain" by M.A. Arbib. Physics of Life Reviews, 16, pp. 58-60. [pdf]
- Matthew Crocker. Vera Demberg and Elke Teich. Information Density and Linguistic Encoding (IDeaL). Künstliche Intelligenz, 30:77-81, 2016. [link]
- Pia Knoeferle, Pirita Pyykkönnen-Klauck and Matthew Crocker (eds). Visually Situated Language Comprehension. John Benjamins, 2016.
- Judith Koehne and Matthew Crocker. The interplay of cross-situational word learning and sentence-level constraints. Cognitive Science, 39:849-889, 2015. [pdf]
- Elli Tourtouri, Francesca Delogu and Matthew Crocker (2015). ERP indices of situated reference in visual contexts. In Noelle et al (Eds.), Proceedings of the 37th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 2422-2427). Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society. [pdf]
- Maria Staudte, Matthew Crocker, Alexis Heloir and Michael Kipp. The influence of speaker gaze on listener comprehension: Contrasting visual versus intentional accounts. Cognition, 133:317-328,2014. [link]
- Afra Alishahi, Afsaneh Fazly, Judith Koehne and Matthew Crocker. Sentence-based attentional mechanisms in word learning: evidence from a computational model. Frontiers in Psychology, 3:200, 2012. [pdf]
- Andrea Weber and Matthew Crocker. On the nature of semantic constraints on lexical access. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 41:195-214, 2012. [pdf]
- Jan Švantner, Igor Farkaš and Matthew Crocker. Modeling utterance-mediated visual attention during situated comprehension. Neural Network World, 22(2):85-101, 2012. [pdf]
- Maria Staudte and Matthew Crocker. Investigating Joint Attention Mechanisms through Spoken Human-Robot Interaction. Cognition, 120:268-291, 2011. [link]
- Matthew Crocker. Computational Psycholinguistics. In: Lappin, Clark and Fox (eds) The Handbook of Computational Linguistics and Natural Language Processing, Blackwell, UK, 2010. [pdf]
- Matthew Crocker, Pia Knoeferle and Marshall Mayberry. Situated Sentence Comprehension: The Coordinated Interplay Account and a Neurobehavioral Model. Brain and Language, 112(3), 2010. [pdf]
(see a short biography, or download my CV and list of publications)